Jun 16, 2017
Craig and Beth Broderick of Brody's Burgers and Beer
Ole Hickory Pits: www.olehickorypits.com/
Weber Grills: www.weber.com/US/en/grills
Del Mar BBQ Championship: http://arlie-que.com/event_detail.php?event=10200
San Diego Reader article on Brody's: https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2013/mar/06/deal-brodys/#
East County Eats article on Brody's: https://www.whisselrealty.com/blog/east-county-eats-brodys-burgers-beer-jamul-ca/
- Craig and Beth Broderick, Owners of Brody's Burgers and Beer located in Jamul, California
- Beth and Craig have known Derek since he was a teenager
- Jamul in East County is a great "small town feel"
- When the city decides to drop a casino right in the middle of town
- "JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN DOESN'T MEAN YOU SHOULD"
- When Brody's opened up, Brody's became the local "cheers bar" - everybody knows everybody there
- Restaurants were in Beth's blood from the beginning
- Beth opened a restaurant in her 20s in Mammoth called "Blondies Kitchen" where she met Craig
- Craig was doing construction
- Craig and Beth opened up Brody's around the recession time
- "Do one thing and do it well"
- Fun Fact: Brody's gets their fresh ground meat from Valley Farm Market
- Blind Lady Ale House: http://www.blindladyalehouse.com/
- Craig loves beer
- Transparency is good no matter how rude you may come off
- 31-tap craft beer system at Brody's with Abita draft root beer and two ciders
- Societe Brewing: http://societebrewing.com/
- Abita Root Beer: https://abita.com/brews/abita-root-beer#
- Getting started with beer is not easy when dealing with distribution
- Fun Fact: Cali Comfort used to have just 8 tap handles before having 24 (currently)
- Craft sodas are taking off
- Owning a successful restaurant: It's about the experience, not just the product
- Brody's has video games, a big conference room, a huge projector for sports games
- Part of the Brody's experience is finding a beer that you are in the mood for
- Very liberal about samples at Brodys so you can find the beer you like
- You won't find beers like Coors Light at Brody's
- Maui Bikini Blonde Lager: http://mauibrewingco.com/discover_beer/bikini-blonde-lager/
- Ska Blonde Ale: http://skabrewing.com/brews/true-blonde-ale-2/
- Brody's purposely doesn't carry Sculpin IPA
- The effects of minimum wage increases on prices
- Nobody carries cash anymore except for people in the restaurant biz
- California Restroom Sign Law Effective March 1, 2017: http://hrwatchdog.calchamber.com/2017/02/ca-restroom-sign-law-effective-march-1/
- Being hands-on owners makes the biggest difference - cleaning toilets, mopping floors, helping customers
- Big common mistake is that owners can just open up a restaurant, socialize, and expect to let it run and then become successful
- Tap list masters at Brody's are Craig and his son, Cameron
- "Great beer" has your palette quenching for more
- "Behind every good man is a better woman"
- Brody's is 100% family owned and operated including their 2 boys Cameron and William
- Every single day Brody’s comes to pick up fresh ground beef and ground turkey at VFM
- Valley Farm Market has fresh Julian Pies!
- Try the Hangover Burger - bacon, eggs, hash brown patty, your choice of cheese - slightly over 1/3lb - highest quality of ingredients served as fresh as possible: https://www.instagram.com/p/BVVYqqVFNte/
- You can do a Build Your Own Burger at Brody's
- You can expect consistency and high quality at places like IN N OUT & Brody's
- Brody's is a perception of value
- Rocky's Crown Pub burgers since 70s has done Cash Only: http://rockyburgers.com/
- Onion Petals & ranch dressing at Brody’s are bomb!
- CLEANLINESS - Brody's does a deep cleaning every 3 months
- "It’s like I’m on vacation when i walk into Brody's, I can sit down here and have a beer and tell some jokes - I forget about the rest of my day and I get to enjoy vacation"
- Brody's supports all locals and the sports teams
- "How do you say NO as a business owner when you’re a community spot?"
- Craig on the concept of Karma "You get back what you put out (to the community)"
- GIVE BACK TO THE COMMUNITY
- Try the Shakes at Brody's, made with frozen custard - 18% butterfat content
- You don’t come to Brody's to count calories
- "Life is short, eat the bacon"
- Word of Mouth marketing is so powerful
- Kyle of East County Eats video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tLrJsfGlSE
- Drink MODERN TIMES BEER: http://moderntimesbeer.com/beer/release-calendar
- Monkey Paw - cheesesteaks: http://monkeypawbrewing.com/
- Brody's is just 20 miles from downtown, right by the 7/11
- Valley Farm stickers now available!
Get in Touch
Derek Marso - https://twitter.com/MarsoDerek
Shawn Walchef - https://twitter.com/shawnpwalchef
Cory Wagner - www.twitter.com/TheFifthPofmkt