Jun 2, 2017
Brad Cooper (@CoopsBBQ) of Coops BBQ
Ole Hickory Pits: www.olehickorypits.com/
Weber Grills: www.weber.com/US/en/grills
Del Mar BBQ Championship: http://arlie-que.com/event_detail.php?event=10200
San Diego Reader Article on Coops West Texas BBQ: https://www.sandiegoreader.com/weblogs/feast/2012/sep/04/coops-west-texas-bbq-still-going-strong/
San Diego Eater Article on Brad Cooper of Coops BBQ: https://sandiego.eater.com/2016/6/13/11881166/coops-west-texas-bbq-san-diego-barbecue-week-lifers
Coop's BBQ on Yelp's 2016 Top 100 Places to Eat: https://www.yelpblog.com/2016/02/yelps-top-100-places-to-eat-in-the-us-for-2016-fast-track-to-a-food-coma
- Brad Cooper, Owner of Coops West Texas BBQ located in Lemon Grove, San Diego
- Congrats to Fern's BBQ for taking 1st place in recent Backyard BBQ Competition: https://www.instagram.com/p/BUdQ8ValaiY/
- Beef Jerky from Valley Farm Market is a MUST TRY: www.valleyfarmmarkets.com/
- Sam's BBQ in Texas with great rib tips: http://www.samsbbq.com/
- Coop moved back to Texas in '96 and was around BBQ and soul food because his Dad was running a BBQ shop
- Coop moved back to San Diego around '98 and brought his love for BBQ back to SD and started trying as much BBQ as he could
- Coop tried Phil's BBQ and saw an opportunity for himself: http://philsbbq.net/
- Coop started to notice the lack of good BBQ in San Diego, especially Texas style BBQ
- Before BBQ, Coop was a nurse for about 11 years
- Coop's has a "Big Boy Smoker" that is black & red that sits outside the restaurant
- BBQ started out as a passion/hobby for Coops then it turned into real idea to start a business
- The first Coop's BBQ started in 2010
- In Southern California, a good BBQ spot becomes a "destination location"
- Coop's BBQ is doing very well on Yelp: https://www.yelp.com/biz/coops-west-texas-bbq-lemon-grove-2
- Your regulars can help the business go around
- "You can never get content in this business, you can ALWAYS strive to be better"
- "Complacency kills in the BBQ business"
- In the past 6 years, BBQ has really improved in San Diego
- Understanding why Texas BBQ doesn't have tons of BBQ sauce smothered all over
- Texas BBQ has sauce on the SIDE
- Ole Hickory Pits at Valley Farm Market BBQ Shack
- When opening a second location, the quality of the food can’t change and should strive to be the same experience no matter which location
- McDonalds does a great job at having the same product no matter which location
- Coop announcing to Facebook that Da Chicken Coop is closing: https://www.facebook.com/CoopsBBQ/videos/1349045275134347/
- As a business owner, you realize there are no days off
- Turnover is crazy in most restaurants with younger kids working - kids expecting things to come to them without working hard for it
- Millennials and the majority of their work ethics
- "If you wouldn't eat it, don't put it out!"
- People eat and buy with their eyes
- Cali Comfort BBQ tried everything, even executive chefs, no chef needed now that they have Gene Goycochea
- What do you do when you have to close down a new business venture?
- New things on the horizon for Coop's BBQ
- BBQ/Mexican food infusion spot coming soon?
- Smoked chicken rolled tacos and tortas
- A big rule in business "DON'T RUSH IT"
- "Senor Coops" - chicken & waffles & southern fried fish
- The importance of having a good landlord when owning a business
- Restaurants can have such great impacts on communities
- Benefit for the Lemon Grove Little League Baseball Team at Coop's BBQ: https://www.facebook.com/events/267228573381228/
- Owning a successful business isn’t the rainbows and butterflies that everyone thinks it is, it is a daily grind
- Coop's employees know that when they walk in the door for their shift, that's when the show starts!
- On Yelp, going from a 4.5 star rating to a 4 star rating can really hurt a business
- Coops BBQ loves catering - weddings are favored: http://coopsbbq.com/catering/4389975
- For those who are interested in starting a business... "Make sure you are PASSIONATE about your craft"
- Cali Comfort BBQ currently has 88 employees because they care about the GUEST EXPERIENCE
- Coop's BBQ will be at the Del Mar BBQ Championship
- "Never be afraid to fail while trying to succeed. You always have to get back up and try again."
- Try the Imperial Valley Carne Asada at Valley Farm Market: http://www.burntorangedesign.com/burntorangedesignClients/VFM/web/images/products/valley-farm-market-award-winning-carne-asada.jpg
Get in Touch
Derek Marso - https://twitter.com/MarsoDerek
Shawn Walchef - https://twitter.com/shawnpwalchef
Cory Wagner - www.twitter.com/TheFifthPofmkt