May 26, 2017
Andy Harris (@GrandeOleBBQyAsado) of Grande Ole BBQ y Asado
Ole Hickory Pits: www.olehickorypits.com/
Weber Grills: www.weber.com/US/en/grills
Del Mar BBQ Championship: http://arlie-que.com/event_detail.php?event=10200
2016 San Diego Eater Article on Grande Ole BBQ y Asado: https://sandiego.eater.com/2016/6/17/11963934/grand-ole-bbq-y-asado-barbecue-north-park#0
2017 "Here's Where to Find the Best BBQ in San Diego" article in the San Diego Magazine: http://www.sandiegomagazine.com/San-Diego-Magazine/March-2017/Heres-Where-to-Find-the-Best-BBQ-in-San-Diego/
- Andy Harris owner of Grand Ole BBQ y Asado located in North Park, San Diego
- Eating and Drinking San Diego event with local pit masters picture: www.instagram.com/p/BIT054SDCnv/
- Grande Ole BBQ advertises mostly on Facebook, here is a post: https://www.facebook.com/grandolebbq/posts/1343325145704122
- Grande Ole BBQ gets lots of publicity via word-of-month marketing
- North Park location: 3302 32nd St, San Diego, CA 92104
- Andy used to live in the North Park area until he moved out towards east county and saw tremendous opportunity back in the city when he decided to open up his first location
- Before BBQ, Andy and his wife were both in the music business (for a long time) doing things like band management, went to Lollapalooza
- Andy noticed the music scene was getting tougher and tougher so turned towards the business of BBQ
- Andy is a long time supporter of Valley Farm Market, gives praise to their pollo asado and poke
- Where does the love for BBQ come from with Andy? He has roots in Austin, TX - loved to eat BBQ growing up
- As a Tour Manager, Andy got to eat his way around america, always loved eating bbq
- Age 26, he bought himself a smoker (stick burner)
- When he wasn’t touring, he was smoking BBQ trying out new methods
- Why it's so hard for cooks, chefs, and pit masters to let someone else cook for them
- Andy and Shawn talk about the Chargers situation in Los Angeles
- Andy loves the San Diego Padres
- Shawn going into the PFUFA nominee for the Chargers: https://www.pfufa.org/
- Do BBQ pit masters watch BBQ TV shows?!
- Do NFL players watch NFL Football games?
- Valley Farm Market sponsored softball team: https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-san-diego-chargers-softball-team-1405984328
- Grand Ole BBQ and possibilities of having draft beer (maybe 8 local taps 2 texas beer) and wine coming to the North Park location: https://www.instagram.com/p/BTzGo5AFXot/
- Shiner Bock TX beer: https://www.shiner.com/beer/bock
- Lone Star TX beer: http://lonestarbeer.com/
- Jester King TX beer: http://jesterkingbrewery.com/
- Possibilities of a second Grande Ole BBQ location coming?
- A new location almost an acre big could have weddings, etc
- outdoor Austin Salt Lick BBQ vibe: http://saltlickbbq.com/
- 1000 gallon tank pit from Texas (OFFSET): https://www.instagram.com/p/BTuqwgAlCo3/ - Andy grew up with these types of pits growing up in Texas
- Tim from Schmokers Custom Pits: http://www.schmokerscustompits.com/
- Some thoughts on stick burners, pellet smokers?
- Talking about life at home as a BBQ Pit Master... Our wives always hating how we smell when we come home
- Before opening up shop, Andy first got experience with catering BBQ
- Brisket is Andy's favorite thing to smoke
- Grande Ole BBQ uses Meyer Natural: http://www.meyernaturalangus.com/
- Videos on Valley Farm Market catering: https://www.facebook.com/pg/valleyfarmmarketSD/videos/
- Shawn Walchef talks about Gene Goycochea helping Cali Comfort BBQ with procedures in prepping the right way, no cutting corners
- Meat prices going up and the troubles it gives to owners like Andy, Shawn, and Derek
- Getting "Sell out GRIPE" from customers - not understand the true way of BBQ, "Once we're out - WE'RE OUT"
- Land BBQ Smokers: https://www.langbbqsmokers.com/
- When customers tell business owners, “YOU KNOW WHAT YOU SHOULD DO...”
- Feelings on Yelp for business owners?
- "The 1-star yelp that kills you inside and how to deal with it"
- Shout out to Dave, the Army Ranger / Pit Master at Grande Ole BBQ
- YETI coolers (highly recommended): http://yeti.com/
- "y Asado" from the name comes from Argentinian BBQ (Andy's mom's side of family)
- Argenintian style BBQ is a lot of grilling vs Texas style BBQ - which is lots of smoking
- Andy hints at a Argentinian BBQ restaurant in the future?
- The "Wood Wars" in BBQ restaurants
- Grab a taste of Grande Ole BBQ at the Del Mar BBQ State Championship
- Jet West Band (jingle in intro) http://www.jetwestband.com/
- Try Coops BBQ in San Diego http://coopsbbq.com/
Get in Touch
Derek Marso - https://twitter.com/MarsoDerek
Shawn Walchef - https://twitter.com/shawnpwalchef
Cory Wagner - www.twitter.com/TheFifthPofmkt